Cooking In Stilettos...
Thursday, January 29, 2009 Tried & True: Williams Sonoma Braised Short Ribs

In November, I fell in love - with short ribs - specifically, the Bourbon Blue's Braised Short Ribs.

However, I couldn't necessarily stalk pester their chef for the recipe so this gal had to improvise. And by improvise, I mean review every little recipe I could get my hands on that might be *the one*.

Well, my friends, I think I found one that is striking similar and, even better, I was able to finally use that lovely crock pot that only sees the counter every few months when I have to make those fabulous meatballs for a soiree.

Trust me when I say that while it make take some time, the end result is WELL worth it. I served it over some Asiago polenta (the cupboard was sans Parmesan - I KNOW - bad, Lys, bad!) and the leftovers were even better the next day. I halved the recipe because, unless I was feeding my friends for a week, this wouldn't work and I'd have short ribs for breakfast lunch and dinner. Now that I think about it - really, what's so bad about that...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Williams-Sonoma Braised Short Ribs

Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma


Ingredients:

Directions:

  1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
  2. Spread the flour out on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Dredge the ribs in the flour, shaking off the excess.
  4. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the 3 Tbs. olive oil until nearly smoking.
  5. Working in batches, brown the ribs on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
  6. Transfer to a slow cooker.
  7. Add more oil to the Dutch oven if needed.
  8. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
  9. Transfer to the slow cooker.
  10. Add the wine to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits.
  11. Add the tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf, mashing any large chunks of tomato paste with a spoon.
  12. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until thickened and reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
  13. Add the wine mixture to the slow cooker along with enough stock to come halfway up the sides of the ribs.
  14. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours according to the manufacturer’s instructions, stirring occasionally.
  15. Skim the fat off the sauce.
  16. Discard the herb sprigs and bay leaf.
  17. Transfer the ribs, carrots and sauce to shallow bowls or plates and serve immediately.

Serves 6.

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Lys :: 7:54 PM :: 4 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------